[CS-FSLUG] Still Flogging the Console Horse

dmc edoc7 at verizon.net
Fri Aug 26 08:57:46 CDT 2005

 >>Debian stock of course...
 >>mc, naim, mutt, emacs, nano... ect. all a kid could want.

I will again suggest Puppy.  Version 1.0.4 is running on my
vintage IBM 600X and others have it running on the older 600E.
(1.0.5 is due out shortly.)

It is fully configurable as an absolute minimalist distro and
also offers a growing list of add-ins for those of use who
are OK with a more robust distro.

I have tried Debian (several versions), RedHat, Suse, Mandrake,
Progeny (now defunct), Peanut, DSL, etc. and all are either
cluttered or fail to meet one key need or another.  IMHO.

Puppy is a fresh clean distro designed to be simple and efficient
and small and still accessible to the user to configure as they
wish.  It recognizes most common wired and wireless nics, I am
listening to streaming audio via gzine right now (something Suse
has never done well), have a working news ticker, there is a tiny
wireless search app, various Web browser and E-mail app options,
word processor options, etc.

I am still struggling to learn it well enough to make it sit
up and beg as many others have but it sure does a lot well in
such a tiny and stable package.  I unloaded Suse on the 600X.

Sorry for the "commercial" but when I read the posted need and
the solutions offered Puppy seemed to meet the need with the
least hassle.

--
doc