[CS-FSLUG] Still Flogging the Console Horse

mash. re.mash at gmail.com
Fri Aug 26 08:04:20 CDT 2005

Ed

I had never touched Linux before in my life and choose Debian, why
because I heard that you can tailor it to do what you want.

I have been running it on a thinkpad since that day.
and am about to install it on my newly ordered Dell Laptop next week.

The installation is very straight forward nowadays, only geek bit is
if you choose the verbose install, the rest of it is very much holding
your hand. If it asks you a question it will explain why and what to
choose if you don't know.

I always boot off a CD and choose net install. It then presents you
with the base install which takes about 15 minutes or so of going
through hardware detection, partitioning and which modules to load. It
then gives you a screen called "task select" which divides all the
packages into sections. Like Database, Desktop enviorment ect. What I
do is choose nothing and it then installs JUST the base files for
debian. I believe about 150MB but not quite sure on this. After that I
boot up, it gives me the console where I can log into my account (
setup during the install.) I then proceed to install what I want from
the command line or via aptitude which is an awesome package manager.
I normally then go through the list which has has normal headings such
as desktop environment, mail, Internet, and choose what I want via the
packages. ie. x-server-xfree86, gdm, mozilla-firefox, gaim.

Then in true debian style it finds all the dependencies I need, the
ones I wouldn't have a clue what they are called and installs them
all.

This way I have kept my system down to such a tidy state I know
exactly what I have installed at all times.

It is very easy to use, Debian was difficult before but try it and you
will be surprised. It just gives you more control and doesn't hide
everything
it does.

I love it.

'Mash