[CS-FSLUG] WTB older laptop

Don Parris gnumathetes at gmail.com
Sun Aug 21 20:03:16 CDT 2005

On 8/21/05, R. Thompson <ron.t at sasktel.net> wrote:
> Good morning Ed,
>
>     thanks for the recommendation.  Would you have any suggestions as to
> where I should look for one, other than e-bay, and what they may be
> worth on the used market?

Our ministry just purchased a laptop from Discount PC International
(www.discountpc.net):
Dell Latitude C610 1.2GHz/20GB/256MB/CD-RW with ethernet/modem ports
built-in.  The total price was (USD) $475.00.  That includes dropping
the OS, and getting a CD-RW in place of the standard CD-ROM.  I found
the sales guy (via phone) very willing to work with me in terms of the
OS, even though they generally sell them as-is.  Incidentally, it cost
as much as a Dell CPX 500MHz/6GB/128MB/CD-ROM that I had seen locally.

We got it Thursday, but it lacks the power adapter.  After calling
them, they are now shipping it.  Hopefully, I should have it by this
Thursday.  It does work on battery, but I'm not using it further till
I get my adapter.  I'll keep y'all posted on that.  I can't be too mad
at them - it could happen to anyone.  If they don't send it, I'll post
that here as a warning to everyone.  If they get it here, I'll let
y'all know they made an honest mistake.

The prices at DiscountPC may be a bit high for you.  You could also look here:
http://www.pricewatch.com/prc.aspx?i=336&p=0&f=1

I would recommend checking out the vendors at PriceWatch - ask
questions, etc.  Otherwise, you should be o.k.  I think Pricewatch
tries to keep out the riff-raff, and they do have vendor ratings to
help you.

--
DC Parris GNU Evangelist
http://matheteuo.org/