[CS-FSLUG] WTB older laptop

Ed Hurst ehurst at asisaid.com
Sun Aug 21 14:30:52 CDT 2005

On Sun, 21 Aug 2005, R. Thompson wrote:

>     thanks for the recommendation.  Would you have any suggestions as to
> where I should look for one, other than e-bay, and what they may be
> worth on the used market?

Gateway laptops up through the 500Mhz range can be found for as little
as $100 (US) and mine can run as high as $250 for one completely
refurbished. I don't use eBay, so I can't help with that. However, I
would be surprised if you couldn't use Froogle to find something
suitable. Don't restrict yourself to a Solo 2500. Most of the older
Gateway laptops are compatible, and I suspect the current ones are, too.
Other good brands are Toshiba, some IBMs, Hitachis, and others that
were built with fairly standard hardware. Stay away from Compaq, and be
wary of HP. There are several sites which tracked the experience of
individuals with various distros and models. Just Google for "Linux
laptops".

--
Ed Hurst