[CS-FSLUG] Libranet or Mepis

Nathan T. celerate at gmail.com
Tue Aug 16 02:57:46 CDT 2005

I've done some work trying to keep Libranet working for dad on his
computer at work and I found that it gets more and more problematic to
keep up to date as it gets older, finally after talking to some people
more familiar with the distribution I found out that I wasn't the only
one who noticed this. Apparently Libranet isn't entirely compatible
with the Debian packages because it's got some that were built
specifically for Libranet and obviously Libranet also has
configuration differences that the Debian packages don't take into
account, this is why dad experienced problems such as Evolution not
being able to print any more after one of the updates.

I don't know why Libranet doesn't maintain better compatibility with
Debian packages if that is what they are going to use in their
sources, that kind of oddity is why I've always kept a safe distance
from Debian and distributions based off it (except Xandros which I'm
almost willing to give another try despite my last experience). I
would recommend that you try Debian only if you are discontent with
RPM based distributions, or even Slackware which is decent if not a
little complicated.

If you do want to try Libranet, perhaps evaluating their free version
first would be prudent; I won't tell you that the same problems I
encountered will happen to you, because as with any distribution
mileage varies with each person.