[CS-FSLUG] Microsoft CDs

Nathan T. celerate at gmail.com
Sun Aug 14 01:34:27 CDT 2005

I will go with your recommendation Fred, but I find it strange that
Rise of Nations copied perfectly despite having a Microsoft logo on
it, yet Age of Empires II beign a much older game won't.I have read on
the internet that toothpaste can be used to polish scratches out of
Cd's, turns out it really only creates a lot of smaller scratches :-p
.

Rather than try to polish the Cd's I think I will opt for copies, even
after my toothpaste experiment I took a serious look at the Cd's and
wondered how any of the scratches could be big enough to actually
effect how the disks read. I noticed that both disks stop copying with
the dd command exactly at 1.6 Mb, they don't even have scratches in
the same place so I don't think this is a coincidence.

I could opt for getting new CDs from Microsoft, but if I payed for the
game in the first place what right do they have to make it impossible
to copy for personal reasons. IMO if they are behind this then I
couldn't possibly pay them anything for replacement copies without
going against my morals.