[CS-FSLUG] ISO Image Quality & Burn Speeds

Nigel Ridley nigel at rmk.co.il
Fri Aug 5 01:12:14 CDT 2005

Don Parris wrote:
> I have been dealing with issues pertaining to the use of ISO images I burn,
> and want to know if others have had the same experience or am I just doing
> something wrong.
>
> When I burned an Ubuntu image at standard speed on my box, then tried to use
> it to install Ubuntu to another box, I got an error message telling me to
> burn the CD at a slower speed.  I dropped from the max to about 32x, which
> apparently still wasn't slow enough.
>
> I noticed that the CD-ROM drive on the target box was rated at 24x, so I
> slowed my burn speed down to that level.  On the subsequent install attempt,
> I still had problems with installing GRUB, among other issues.  I tried
> again at 16x, and experienced a flawless installation.  From this, I derive
> the following conclusion:
> <> Burn the CD at a speed below the rated level for the target drive.
>

> The 2nd issue is the quality of the burn.  I have experienced problems in
> the past with trying to use an ISO image for multiple installs.  It's like
> the ISO CD is a one-shot deal.  The CD-R's are Verbatim.  Just curious to
> hear back from others.
>
> Don

Don,

I always burn iso's at the slowest speed possible -- x4 on my box. So it
takes a bit longer -- have a cup of tea :-)

I used to use Verbatim but also experienced problems with them, so now I
use Maxwell, even used Office Depot ones, with no problems.

Regarding the *one shot* thingy, I had similar problems with a boxed set
of SuSE 7.1 -- after a couple of installs I couldn't do any more without
errors.

Blessings,

Nigel

--
It's not a problem -- it's a learning opportunity.
--

I AM Bible Studies and Resources
http://www.i-amfaithweb.net

Messianic E-Cards.com