[CS-FSLUG] ISO Image Quality & Burn Speeds

Nathan T. celerate at gmail.com
Fri Aug 5 01:15:40 CDT 2005

On 8/4/05, Don Parris <evangelinux at thefreelyproject.org> wrote:
> I have been dealing with issues pertaining to the use of ISO images I burn,
> and want to know if others have had the same experience or am I just doing
> something wrong.
>
> When I burned an Ubuntu image at standard speed on my box, then tried to use
> it to install Ubuntu to another box, I got an error message telling me to
> burn the CD at a slower speed.  I dropped from the max to about 32x, which
> apparently still wasn't slow enough.
>
> I noticed that the CD-ROM drive on the target box was rated at 24x, so I
> slowed my burn speed down to that level.  On the subsequent install attempt,
> I still had problems with installing GRUB, among other issues.  I tried
> again at 16x, and experienced a flawless installation.  From this, I derive
> the following conclusion:
> <> Burn the CD at a speed below the rated level for the target drive.

The speed you burned it at shouldn't have made a difference, the data
is the same either way. I've burned lots of CDs at 40x which dad then
used in his laptop with a CD drive that's not very fast, probably
about 2 to 8x.

> The 2nd issue is the quality of the burn.  I have experienced problems in
> the past with trying to use an ISO image for multiple installs.  It's like
> the ISO CD is a one-shot deal.  The CD-R's are Verbatim.  Just curious to
> hear back from others.

I don't like Verbatim, generic CDs work fine for me, but all the
Verbatim ones I've used didn't work well. Some people at work say
Verbatim is a good brand, but you already know what I think of the
average Staples computer associate; I would take my judgement over
theirs any day of the week, they don't know anything that isn't
written in the book of Microsoft.com (their bible).