[CS-FSLUG] ISO Image Quality & Burn Speeds

Don Parris evangelinux at thefreelyproject.org
Thu Aug 4 23:58:04 CDT 2005

I have been dealing with issues pertaining to the use of ISO images I burn,
and want to know if others have had the same experience or am I just doing
something wrong.

When I burned an Ubuntu image at standard speed on my box, then tried to use
it to install Ubuntu to another box, I got an error message telling me to
burn the CD at a slower speed.  I dropped from the max to about 32x, which
apparently still wasn't slow enough.

I noticed that the CD-ROM drive on the target box was rated at 24x, so I
slowed my burn speed down to that level.  On the subsequent install attempt,
I still had problems with installing GRUB, among other issues.  I tried
again at 16x, and experienced a flawless installation.  From this, I derive
the following conclusion:
<> Burn the CD at a speed below the rated level for the target drive.

The 2nd issue is the quality of the burn.  I have experienced problems in
the past with trying to use an ISO image for multiple installs.  It's like
the ISO CD is a one-shot deal.  The CD-R's are Verbatim.  Just curious to
hear back from others.

Don
--
evangelinux    GNU Evangelist