[CS-FSLUG] Pardon me while I grouch

Fred A. Miller fmiller at lightlink.com
Wed Aug 3 09:29:09 CDT 2005

On Wednesday 03 August 2005 8:19 am, Ed Hurst wrote:
> Fred A. Miller wrote:
> > Yet, I don't have these problems, nor do any of the boxen I've setup. I'd
> > like to know why you have them and I don't.
>
> I don't know what to say. For example, the Kwrite issue has been
> consistent since KDE 3.2.0 on every box I've use, and started with SuSE
> 8.2. The background error stuff has been there since KDE 2.x on at least
> three distros, but got more voluminous in KDE 3.x. I noticed it beacuse
> I quit using KDM long ago. When logging out of KDE, it drops to the
> console and there have always been error messages for the longest time.

At one point, I did have some issues on my "old" box, which our son has now.
But, I had been "messing around" with the install, and it WASN'T a clean
install either, but an upgrade. As soon as I did a clean pure SUSE install,
the problems went away. I don't have a problem with Kwrite, but I also don't
use it for large files.

> The machine power ranges from the Gateway Solo with a 266Mhz/160MB RAM
> up through that Athlon 1.1Ghz with the .5GB RAM (the one with major
> display issues in Linux/Unix).

Yes........get nVidia and be rid of the display problems. Intel is supposed to
be so "friendly" to Linux, but drivers for their integrated video STINK....NO
3D. Maybe one reason I have less problems is that I know what hardware works
well with Linux, and I simply WON'T use anything else!

Fred

to you, at this time.