[CS-FSLUG] Pardon me while I grouch

Ed Hurst ehurst at asisaid.com
Wed Aug 3 13:34:22 CDT 2005

Fred A. Miller wrote:

> At one point, I did have some issues on my "old" box, which our son has now.
> But, I had been "messing around" with the install, and it WASN'T a clean
> install either, but an upgrade. As soon as I did a clean pure SUSE install,
> the problems went away. I don't have a problem with Kwrite, but I also don't
> use it for large files.

My typical webpages range between 10-30 KB, and I really do need the
syntax highlighting, but not the automation of Kweb (or whatever they
call it now). On some sites I use hard wrapping, but on others I need
soft wrapping, and that's why I try to use Kwrite. Since it still
hammers the CPU, I tend to use Nedit and go through the hassle of
resetting the config for the differences.

> Yes........get nVidia and be rid of the display problems. Intel is supposed to
> be so "friendly" to Linux, but drivers for their integrated video STINK....

Umm, on that machine I started with an Nvidia card, and it was the one
that blinked at the edges of the display, flexing in and out constantly.
I gave the card to Nigel and ran a Radeon, which was slightly better,
because it blinked less often. I even replaced the monitor, and in the
end gave the box to my son, who runs XP on it. On my laptops, I have no
choice.

I once attempted making bug reports. GNOME folks were downright snotty
about it, because I wasn't a coder who offered patches. KDE simply said
"fixed in the next release" which I find unacceptable. What's wrong with
fixing the current release? Each new release brings new breakage. My
complaint is that not a single release has been right. Why do I have to
download 100MB of packages or 200MB of source code? Anyone ever hear of
patching? Mine is hardly the only voice of unhappiness. My complaints
are echoed all over the Open Source web.

--
Ed Hurst