[CS-FSLUG] No Virus Protection for 64-bit Windows

Bradly J. McConnell bradly.mcconnell at gmail.com
Sat Apr 30 13:34:41 CDT 2005

國產 Wei-Yee Chan (Made in Chinar) wrote:

>No, I'm quite certain that your not just lucky. :-)  Like U, I've got
>F-prot Antivirus installed on my Fedora Core 3 based linux system, just
>in case, and I've never caught a single virus.  This is despite the fact
>that I'm receiving all my emails on this particular computer.  I should
>think that it has a lot to do with the design of the operating system,
>and Linux was designed with security in mind.
>

>Christopher Rose wrote:
>

>>Somehow I am not surprised by this. I have AVG anitvirus for Linux on my machine (better safe than sorry) and yet I have never had any virus problems. In fact, AVG didn't find anything when I did an initial scan, despite the fact that I had been using the internet and doing all those normative things that most computer users (that is, non-gamers) do. Have I just been lucky? I have to wonder.

I don't really think it's the security aspect.  I think it is more due
to the fact that Linux is still a minority operating system, and the
scum that write virii want to do it for the mass effect.  Why write a
virus that will only affect a possible 5% of the internet population (no
basis for the number, just an example) when you can write a virus that
will crash 80% of the population.  At this time, we are protected more
by obscurity than by security.  As Linux becomes more prevalent, then it
is possible that we will see virus development.  I think vulnerabilities
in various packages are the biggest threat right now.  It is a good idea
to be proactive though, just in case.

Brad