[CS-FSLUG] No Virus Protection for 64-bit Windows

Don Parris gnumathetes at gmail.com
Sat Apr 30 15:51:11 CDT 2005

On 4/30/05, Bradly J. McConnell <bradly.mcconnell at gmail.com> wrote:
> 國產 Wei-Yee Chan (Made in Chinar) wrote:

<SNIP>

> I don't really think it's the security aspect.  I think it is more due
> to the fact that Linux is still a minority operating system, and the
> scum that write virii want to do it for the mass effect.  Why write a
> virus that will only affect a possible 5% of the internet population (no
> basis for the number, just an example) when you can write a virus that
> will crash 80% of the population.  At this time, we are protected more
> by obscurity than by security.  As Linux becomes more prevalent, then it
> is possible that we will see virus development.  I think vulnerabilities
> in various packages are the biggest threat right now.  It is a good idea
> to be proactive though, just in case.
>
> Brad

I worry more about people trying to hack my system than viruses.
Still, you do have to gain root privileges to be able to write stuff
to the system dir with GNU/Linux systems.  At work, I have write
access to \Windows\System as a regular user.  Any file running with my
privileges has the same access I do.  With GNU, that would have to be
granted explicitly.  Not that people can't gain root privileges - it
just seems a little more difficult.

Don
--
DC Parris GNU Evangelist