[CS-FSLUG] A little advice, please

Ed Hurst ehurst at asisaid.com
Sat Apr 30 11:19:18 CDT 2005

On Sat, 30 Apr 2005 10:40:43 -0400, 'Mash <re.mash at gmail.com> wrote:

> I am currently using an IBM Thinkpad X20/P3 600/ 384 MB RAM, running
> Debian/2.4.27 it.

I'm envious.

> I have had only one problem with this laptop, Kernel 2.6 does not
> support my network card at all hence why I am running 2.4.27. Other
> then that it has been supperb. It really depends on what you are
> wanting to do in it.

I am primarily a writer, and use it also for the likes of our church's
worship bulletin, formatting notes and memos for record, meetings minutes,
etc. I would also use it to test desktop-oriented apps ported to FreeBSD.
All my FOSS work is aimed at making things more user friendly and
supporting the most common tasks for the average Joe.

> I am as we speaking installing PHP5 for some development. It is a joy
> to use and I only paid £400.00 off eBay for it. (refurbished model)
> Oh also it an ultralight and so I take it around with me everywhere.

How nice. I don't trust eBay primarily because I don't use it, ever. My
brother uses it all the time, and warns me to avoid it, too. He's in no
position to help me with this need right now. I'm expecting to have --
just maybe -- something like $400(US) at the most for this in a couple of
months. I have zero credit from never using it, so borrowing from the
usual commercial sources is out. I'm guessing the ultralight business
raises the price somewhat. That's no issue with me, since I'm already so
heavy myself, what's a few extra kilos hanging off the shoulder? I think
my current Solo weighs 10 pounds (4.5kg) in the bag.

--
Ed Hurst