[CS-FSLUG] A little advice, please

Nigel Ridley nigel at rmk.co.il
Sat Apr 30 12:09:48 CDT 2005

Ed Hurst wrote:
> My original message was trapped because I use the wrong sending address.
> I  was lamenting the death of my desktop box. From the messages, I
> gather the  CPU is getting marginal. I've seen the symptoms before. So I
> put that  aside, and am now restricted to the laptop featured in my
> latest Ofb.biz  article.
>
> Now, I'm grateful to God this thing still works well after all these
> years. Frank Bax sent me a 4GB harddrive to fit this laptop because the
> other was dead, and just in time. Still, that's not much room, even
> with  the spare requirements of FreeBSD. And this old Gateway Solo with
> 266Mhz  CPU and 160MB of RAM is just not a lot to work with.
>
> So I'm saving up for a newer laptop, because it fits the way I work
> better  than a desktop machine. I may even get help from a friend who
> supports my  ministry, and I'll always accept donations, because my
> computers belong to  God. I know that there are some pretty good used
> laptops out there, and  anything from a 500Mhz on up would be big leap
> in performance. Googling  brings back way too much, and I have no
> experience purchasing used  equipment, especially online.
>
> The question, then: Whom would you trust as a vendor of used laptops? I
> will mention in passing that IBMs are favored with BSD devs, and
> Compaq/HP  are reputed the worst choices. My experience with this and
> another Gateway  makes me view them favorably. In general, the FOSS
> community likes the  response from the big 3 Japanese brands. Given
> that, I'd like to read your  comments on what you would do in my place.

Hi Ed,

I have a 4year old Toshiba Satellite that's really served me well. Just
one thing -- try and stay away from celeron's. Also something to bear in
mind is that the more mghz the more heat [on your thighs] and the faster
your battery will run down.

Blessings,

Nigel

--
It's not a problem -- it's a learning opportunity.
--

I AM Bible Studies and Resources
http://www.i-amfaithweb.net

Messianic E-Cards.com