[CS-FSLUG] Another chapter in my transition to Linux saga

JD Runyan Lists at RunyanRants.Net
Fri Apr 22 10:16:32 CDT 2005

Josiah Ritchie wrote:
> I rarely ever use 'vim' but it is occasionally of great benefit to know
> the first 15 min. of the 'vimtutor' directions. The rest is just neat
> stuff to know. The idea of modes in a text editor threw me for a loop
> for about a year (back in RedHat 5.2 days). I didn't know about
> 'vimtutor' at the time. Priceless! I think, for most use, nano is all
> you need and it has a menu so you don't have to remeber as much.

Not to start an editor flamefest, but I would encourage everyone to
learn the basics of vi. vi is found on all UN*X platforms. It has been
the defacto standard editor for the UN*X world. You don't have to like,
but you should learn it even if you will use something else on a regular
basis.

--
"If you can't imitate him, don't copy him."
--Yogi Bera