[CS-FSLUG] Windows XP restrictions & exploits

Bradly McConnell bradly.mcconnell at gmail.com
Wed Sep 29 18:44:27 CDT 2004

> considered bringing in a Linux live CD distribution and running that on
> the computers just for the demonstration

If you go this route, make sure to test it early, and make sure they
don't have booting from CD disabled in the bios.

> Having considered every option I can think of I'm more or less out of
> ideas, a lot of kids bring laptops to school for this kind of thing but
> that isn't an option for me since I don't have one;

Probably your best bet - why don't you check with some of your friends
and see if they would let you borrow one.

Another option (again would require approval) would be to bring your
own computer in and just use the projector and KVM connections.  An
administrator should be flexible and knowledgeable enough to know that
won't affect the systems, and if he doesn't, well then the school
really needs to reevaluate his position.  The National Security Agency
has even approved certain models of KVM switches to be used between
classified and unclassified systems (which comes in handy when you
have limited space on a ship).  If you need some firepower, I could
probably drum up the reference.

If you want some more information on hardware based encryption, try
googling KY-58, ANDVT, KW-46, or KG-84.  There is a fairly interesting
and technical site.
https://infosec.navy.mil is also a good reference.  You should be able
to get to much of the site without any problems.

If you couldn't tell by now, I'm in the Navy and I teach crypto
maintenance, so if you have questions on some hardware based
encryption, I can help you out (there may be some questions I can't
answer due to security, but I can provide some info.)  If you are
interested, just email me personally.

Brad