[CS-FSLUG] Windows XP restrictions & exploits

N. Thompson n.thomp at sasktel.net
Wed Sep 29 18:28:44 CDT 2004

Part of my history assignment this year is  major assignment that has to
be done entirely independently of the rest of the course, that means no
class time to work on it until the time comes around to present it. I
wanted to have Cryptography as my topic and I have even gone to the
trouble of spending hours and hours working on a program to demonstrate
atbash, Caesar and password ciphers. The plan was to finish the program
and use it as an example in the project by using one of the overhead
projectors the school has hooked up to their computers but there is a
serious problem; the school is running very locked down versions of
Windows XP, the only programs that are able to run are Internet
Explorer, Microsoft Word and Visual Studio 2003, I tried using Visual
Studio 2003 to write a launcher for my program but it wouldn't even run
the program I wrote with it because of the way the permissions are set
up on all the school computers. I am now looking for alternative methods
of being able to start the program in the school computers, I've
considered burning the program onto a CD-RW for the demonstration and
counting on the autorun feature to load the program but I was told that
was disabled on the school computers. I then considered the option of
writing a launcher with Visual Studio .net 2003 but the school has
disabled the ability to run anything with a exe file extension outside
of the read only folders C:\Windows\ and C:\Program Files\ . Finally I
considered bringing in a Linux live CD distribution and running that on
the computers just for the demonstration but I'm not holding my breath
on that one, I don't think there's the slightest chance that I'll get
permission for that since the school's sysadmin is hard to find and as a
policy the school doesn't normally want the students to be able to do
more then research, edit word files and write programs as part of the
computer science course.

Having considered every option I can think of I'm more or less out of
ideas, a lot of kids bring laptops to school for this kind of thing but
that isn't an option for me since I don't have one; the other
alternative is trying to find another method of running an executable
file, perhaps through a Windows XP exploit. I would very much appreciate
any possible input on this, I've spend hours on this history assignment
and I'd rather not have to change the subject of the assignment and
start all over again.

BTW. I have to know by Friday whether it will be possible for me to run
my program on the school computers if anyone has something to suggest.