[CS-FSLUG] CBS Fined $550K for Super Bowl Broadcast

Fred Miller fmiller at lightlink.com
Fri Sep 24 23:34:56 CDT 2004

On Friday September 24 2004 11:46 pm, listmail at rotundus.com wrote:

[snip]

> Is the appearance of yet enough celebrity reason enough to use the word
> 'shocking'?  I guess we'd also have to debate the second phrase... I
> wouldn't have expected modest clothing, but I'm not sure that the producers
> would go as far as having it ripped off.  I find entertainment today to be
> lacking in modesty and taste, but on the other hand how much of the benefit
> of doubt should they be given as to intention?

NO benefit of doubt, IMHO. It's human nature to be always "pushing the
envelope," that is, it's man's inherited evil nature to be self-centered,
self-gratifying, self-promoting, and self-indulgent - just for starters. :)
Further, there isn't any need to debate anything. It's quite obvious that ALL
celebrities and ALL broadcasters MUST be held accountable for what they do,
be it Janet Jackson, CBS, Dan Rather, FOX News, or "who ever." That junk was
sent over public airwaves, and it was offensive. ALL who were involved SHOULD
be held accountable and pay a VERY HEAVY fine! Considering that Viacom was/is
involved, THE big promoter of shows like Howard Stern, logic dictates that
they knew what was going to happen at half time. You should already know the
connection between Viacom and CBS.

Fred

--
"Running Windows on a Pentium is like getting a Porsche but only being
able to drive it in reverse with the handbrake on."