[CS-FSLUG] CBS Fined $550K for Super Bowl Broadcast

listmail at rotundus.com listmail at rotundus.com
Fri Sep 24 22:46:16 CDT 2004

Quoting Fred Miller <fmiller at lightlink.com>:

> You should know better - I DON'T ever use junk sources. One is NewsMax.

Perhaps it's my history background coming up, but I like to get down to the
primary sources of information whenever possible.

Anyways, here's the press release from MTV which a story I found at NewsMax was
based on, with
an editor's note appended to it:
http://www.mtv.com/news/articles/1484644/20040128/index.jhtml?headlines=true

The entire argument that this was premeditated seems to rely on the use of the
word 'shocking' in this press release as well as
the phrase "she's more a woman as she dances this time around".

Is the appearance of yet enough celebrity reason enough to use the word
'shocking'?  I guess we'd also have to debate the second phrase... I wouldn't
have expected modest clothing, but I'm not sure that the producers would go as
far as having it ripped off.  I find entertainment today to be lacking in
modesty and taste, but on the other hand how much of the benefit of doubt
should they be given as to intention?

And as far as NewsMax's comment that you just can't turn off the Superbowl, I'm
forced to ask "why not?"

David