LCD's (was: Re: [CS-FSLUG] Linux/Programming magazines)

Timothy R. Butler tbutler at uninetsolutions.com
Tue Sep 14 18:48:48 CDT 2004

> I think the majority of people would upgrade to LCD's if the prices
> were
> lower, I know I wouldn't mind having a 17 inch one but I'll live with
> my CRT

	Yeah. 17" seem to be coming into "affordable" range, at least around
here. But 19" ones are still prohibitively expensive.

> which seems to work better then the new ones comming out. While I'm on
> the
> topic has anyone else noticed the quality on the new CRT's going down,
> my
> sister and the school all got new ones within this year and the
> display has
> what could best be described as an off centred ghost of whatever
> happens to
> be on the screen.

	Hmm... I can't really say I've noticed.

> The link didn't work, were you pointing at one of the Apple notebooks
> or the
> new G5 iMac? The new iMac looks nice but I'd personally opt for
> portability

	20" Cinema Display (Aluminum). It supports DVI, plus it has a USB 2.0
hub and firewire hub in it. :-)

	Not in the market for an iMac G5 at the moment, but my desktop and
laptop would go very nicely with that.

> since I wouldn't mind being able to work on my programs and homework
> sitting
> more comfortably or even just outside in the back yard during a nice
> quiet
> day, if Mac OS has the same button ordering as the new GTK though then
> wouldn't go near it with a 10 foot pole.

	Tell me what the difference is that is bad and I'll tell you if Mac OS
X has it. I've never been able to figure out the GTK button hubbub, so
I can't really say. I have to work with Windows, Linux (almost 100% GTK
or console these days) and Mac OS on a regular basis and I never notice
any "button issues" with any of them (it is one of the few things I
don't find annoying in one OS or another).

	-Tim

Timothy R. Butler       Universal Networks      www.uninet.info
| Christian Portal:      | Have you not learned great lessons |
|      www.faithtree.com | from those  who  braced themselves |
| GNU/Linux News:        | against  you   and   disputed  the |
|            www.ofb.biz | passage with you?   --Walt Whitman |
Presently on "Albert" (DP PPC 970 "G5" running at 2.0 GHz)