[CS-FSLUG] video capture

Frank Bax fbax at sympatico.ca
Tue Sep 14 17:04:37 CDT 2004

At 05:12 PM 9/14/04, Timothy R. Butler wrote:

>>I've given up on Analog video capture (tried both Linux and WinXP with an
>>ATI All-in-wonder card).  It has been suggested that I get hold of a DV
>>camera that accepts input from a VCR and connects to PC via firewire.  If
>>the camera can do this in "monitor" mode (no actual recording on camera),
>>even better.  I found this site:
>>         http://www.linux1394.org/
>
>         I think there are a few companies that make a piece of hardware
> specifically for this... that might be preferable to trying to use a DV
> cam to convert VHS. Some of the TV tuner/recorder cards probably would do
> the trick... but you need one that has a built in MPEG hardware encoder,
> I think, for Linux.

The TV tuner/recorder card is the project I finally gave up on after
numerous failed attempts.  Never could get audio/video to stay in sync on
either Linux or WinXP.

>If you have access to a Mac, it's stunningly simple.

I was thinking about going to a MAC when a MAC user suggested the DV camera
option.  I don't have access to either at the moment.  I might be able to
borrow a DV camera to test the process; otherwise, a camera is cheaper than
a MAC, so I was hoping to get confirmation that someone got it working
before I bought one.

Frank