[CS-FSLUG] video capture

Timothy R. Butler tbutler at uninetsolutions.com
Tue Sep 14 16:12:52 CDT 2004

> I've given up on Analog video capture (tried both Linux and WinXP with
> an ATI All-in-wonder card).  It has been suggested that I get hold of
> a DV camera that accepts input from a VCR and connects to PC via
> firewire.  If the camera can do this in "monitor" mode (no actual
> recording on camera), even better.  I found this site:
> 	http://www.linux1394.org/

	I think there are a few companies that make a piece of hardware
specifically for this... that might be preferable to trying to use a DV
cam to convert VHS. Some of the TV tuner/recorder cards probably would
do the trick... but you need one that has a built in MPEG hardware
encoder, I think, for Linux.

> Does anyone here have any experience with this sort of thing?  My
> objective is to transfer home videos in VHS format to digital -
> probably some DVD format (of which there appear to be more than one).
> Is there one piece of software that will 'capture' the DV from
> firewire and prepare video for burning to DVD.

	I don't have Firewire on a PC, so I can't really help much there. If
you have access to a Mac, it's stunningly simple. iMovie will import
the footage. After that, you can choose whether or not to edit it, then
it will export it into iDVD which will add a DVD menu and such if you
wish. It all requires absolutely no prior experience. I did a project
that took an hour of DV footage, a thousand or so photos, a sound track
and different transitions and built it in about 6 hours -- i.e. I
produced a feature length "movie" in one day. Just downloading and
burning would take -- oh, maybe an hour and a half, including the time
it takes to download and then burn on a 2x DVD-R.

	-Tim

Timothy R. Butler       Universal Networks      www.uninet.info
| Christian Portal:      | Have you not learned great lessons |
|      www.faithtree.com | from those  who  braced themselves |
| GNU/Linux News:        | against  you   and   disputed  the |
|            www.ofb.biz | passage with you?   --Walt Whitman |
Presently on "Albert" (DP PPC 970 "G5" running at 2.0 GHz)