[CS-FSLUG] video capture

Frank Bax fbax at sympatico.ca
Tue Sep 14 13:47:15 CDT 2004

At 12:44 PM 9/14/04, Chris Brault wrote:

>I do,
>
> > Does anyone here have any experience with this sort
> > of thing?  My objective
> > is to transfer home videos in VHS format to digital
> > - probably some DVD
> > format (of which there appear to be more than one).
> > Is there one piece of
> > software that will 'capture' the DV from firewire
> > and prepare video for
> > burning to DVD.
> >
> > Frank
>
>For DV video capture and up front editing, use Kino
>(You've already discovered that site). For more
>advanced editing, use Cinelerra
>(http://www.heroinewarrior.com/cinelerra.php3) if you
>happen to have a cluster handy, or use Jashaka
>(http://www.jahshaka.com/) if you really want to make
>something really cool. If ease of use is what you have
>in mind, then "Main Actor" for Linux sells for $199.00
>and is available for download, so you can get it
>instantly. There is a demo of it available if you want
>to check it out (it resembles final cut pro).
>
>As for DVD authoring
>http://dvdstyler.sourceforge.net/shots.html
>
>This site will give you the basics of Kino to mpeg to
>DVD.
>http://www.gecius.de/linux/dvd.html
>
>There ya go.

Thanks!  I just visited the local electronics shop to price out DV cameras
- and of course, I have more questions!  The cameras on the shelf did not
support input from VCR, but they could order one that not only accepts
s-video and composite inputs from VCR, it also records to mini-DVD disks;
but does not have firewire, just usb.  Would this be an acceptable way to
go?   Looks like I could record from VHS VCR to mini-DVD on camera; then
take several mini-DVD's to my computer and put them all onto a single
regular sized DVD?
         http://www.hitachi.ca/product_details.asp?PID=302
         http://www.hitachi.ca/product_details.asp?PID=303
This sounds like an attractive setup because right now the VCR and PC are
not in the same room.

Your comment about "Kino to mpg to dvd" implies that the data stream that
the DV cameras sends to the computer needs to be converted for recording to
DVD?  Does this still happen if video is already recorded on the mini-DVD
disks by the camera?  The camera supports both DVD-RAM and DVD-R - besides
the obvious write-one vs write many difference, is there a format
difference in the data on these media?

Frank