[CS-FSLUG] Churches Using GNU/Linux

Timothy R. Butler tbutler at uninetsolutions.com
Mon Sep 13 10:30:28 CDT 2004

Hi Don,
> <St. Paul's Evangelical Church>name
> <700>size
> <Evangelical Free Church of
> America/Congregational>denomination/structure
> <Creve Coeur, Missouri USA>location (city, state, country)
> <Library catalog and access system>how used

	That system is running -- what is the version, I can't recall -- I
think it is Mandrake 9.0 and a very minimal KDE Kiosk install. It works
as both the client (KDE and Konqueror) and server (Apache and KOHA) for
the library catalog. It works OK, although I need to implement some
features the librarians really want.

	I tried to make bigger inroads, in fact, I moved one pastor over to
GNU/Linux (Fedora Core/GNOME with my own personal tweaks applied to
make it a bit more user friendly), but alas he seemed to feel "left
out" being the only staff member without Windows XP. Plus his hard disk
failed, and so that seemed to be all the motivation he needed to buy XP
and give me the job of redoing everything again. :-(

	(We did that switch when Windows ME died on his computer and I
suggested trying something more reliable.)

	We also, of course, use GNU/Linux for the web and e-mail server,
although it is not the church's own server -- it is my company's (the
one we are on right now).

	-Tim

Timothy R. Butler       Universal Networks      www.uninet.info
| Christian Portal:      | Have you not learned great lessons |
|      www.faithtree.com | from those  who  braced themselves |
| GNU/Linux News:        | against  you   and   disputed  the |
|            www.ofb.biz | passage with you?   --Walt Whitman |
Presently on "Albert" (DP PPC 970 "G5" running at 2.0 GHz)