[CS-FSLUG] How to resolve anapparent - It Works!

Ruth Marlene Friesen bouquet at ruthes-secretroses.com
Wed Sep 8 00:41:13 CDT 2004

Thanks again, Eduardo!
For this problem,

>>Also, the brower window (Mozilla) that was open when the crash
>>happened is still there, and will NOT close. The error message made
>>off in a hurry and I hope it's gone for good. It said, "The connection
>>was refused when attempting to contact 64.241... etc." I had to click
>>OK 2 x to get rid of it each time.

You advised;

>We will try the following...
>
>1. Press "ALT+F2". This is going to bring you a command line window.
>This window should say something like: "Enter the name of the
>application you want to run or the URL you want to view."
>
>Type "xkill" in that window, and then click "Run" or "OK". All of a
>sudden, the mouse pointer will change into a skull-and-crossbones. With
>that pointer, click on that stubborn Mozilla that refuses to close :).
>
>Now, my sister, would you please try these tips and then tell me if it
>does work ?

I tried that last night and it worked immediately. I'm saving that tip
for when I may need it again.

Meantime, I had no less than at least 3 crashes in Windows today, so I
decided to switch into Mandrake for the last project of my afternoon,
but the steps for connected to go online didn't work.

Actually, I think the hold up is that Linuxant had instructed me to add
a certain line to the top of a /etc/modules.conf  file, but whenever I
do that I can't save it for a message that says I don't have permission.
Somehow I need to find out how I can open a file and let it know that I
AM the root user. (Colour me a Newbie!) Any tip for that? :)

I do have two other lines I need to key in as su and then KPPP gets
through - or did in the past, when it dials up for me. But I re-read the
email from Linuxant, and it sounds  as if once I get that line in that
particular config file, I would only need to open KPPP and dial up.

Thanks so much again, for your kind guidance! God bless you for it!