[CS-FSLUG] How to resolve anapparent - It Works!

Eduardo Sanchez lists at sombragris.org
Wed Sep 8 08:37:29 CDT 2004

Ruth and listpeople,

On Wednesday 08 September 2004 02:41, Ruth Marlene Friesen wrote:
[snip]
> I tried that last night and it worked immediately. I'm saving that tip
> for when I may need it again.

I'm glad it worked, Ruth. :)

[snip]

> Actually, I think the hold up is that Linuxant had instructed me to
add
> a certain line to the top of a /etc/modules.conf  file, but whenever I
> do that I can't save it for a message that says I don't have
permission.
> Somehow I need to find out how I can open a file and let it know that
> AM the root user. (Colour me a Newbie!) Any tip for that? :)

I can give you a lot of those, but I would like to know: How do you
usually edit /etc/modules.conf? What program do you use to edit it?

Let's say that you use KWrite to edit /etc/modules.conf. In that case,
you're pretty right, you need to tell the system who's the boss! In
order to do so, invoke again the famous ALT+F2 command-line dialog
(isn't it handy??) and when there, type the following:

kdesu kwrite /etc/modules.conf

After clicking "Run" or "OK", a dialog box will appear asking for your
root password. Type the password and click "OK". After that, the KWrite
editor will appear with /etc/modules.conf, which you may edit to your
heart's content, *and* will let you save it. (Just be careful,
remember, you're root now! If you messed something up, just don't save,
and repeat the whole procedure again).

The works behind the tip:
You're using the 'kdesu' utility. This is an utility that lets you run a
graphical program as root. When you typed:

kdesu kwrite /etc/modules.conf

in the command line, then you told kdesu that you wanted to run
'kwrite /etc/modules.conf' as root. That is, the 'kwrite' program which
will edit the '/etc/modules.conf' file.

Write me back to see if this worked.

Now, back to where we've been... do you have a LCD screen or the more
conventional, CRT (TV-like) type?

Blessings,

Eduardo

> I do have two other lines I need to key in as su and then KPPP gets
> through - or did in the past, when it dials up for me. But I re-read
the
> email from Linuxant, and it sounds  as if once I get that line in that
> particular config file, I would only need to open KPPP and dial up.
>
> Thanks so much again, for your kind guidance! God bless you for it!

Prof. Eduardo Sanchez
Asuncion, Paraguay, South America
 The Vine had struck a fiber: which about
 It clings my Being--let the Dervish flout;
   Of my Base metal may be filed a Key
 That shall unlock the Door he howls without.

	-- The Rubaiyat of Omar Khayyam

Prof. Eduardo Sanchez
Asuncion, Paraguay, South America
 The Ball no question makes of Ayes and Noes,
 But Here or There as strikes the Player goes;
   And He that toss'd you down into the Field,
 He knows about it all--HE knows--HE knows!

	-- The Rubaiyat of Omar Khayyam