[CS-FSLUG] How to resolve anapparent - It Works!

Eduardo Sanchez lists at sombragris.org
Mon Sep 6 06:39:35 CDT 2004

Dear Ruth,

I'm glad that it worked, and even more glad that I could be of little
help.

You say:
> But my window space in Mandrake does not use all of my screen real
> estate. It did that too when I first installed it, but I can't
> recall how I fixed it. The monitor buttons don't seem to help.

Do you have a LCD screen? If that's the case, then I suspect what
happened is that you are using a resolution that's actually lower than
your monitor's resolution.

Now, about this:

> Also, the brower window (Mozilla) that was open when the crash
> happened is still there, and will NOT close. The error message made
> off in a hurry and I hope it's gone for good. It said, "The connection
> was refused when attempting to contact 64.241... etc." I had to click
> OK 2 x to get rid of it each time.

We will try the following...

1. Press "ALT+F2". This is going to bring you a command line window.
This window should say something like: "Enter the name of the
application you want to run or the URL you want to view."

Type "xkill" in that window, and then click "Run" or "OK". All of a
sudden, the mouse pointer will change into a skull-and-crossbones. With
that pointer, click on that stubborn Mozilla that refuses to close :).

Now, my sister, would you please try these tips and then tell me if it
does work ?

God bless you richly,

Eduardo

On Sunday 05 September 2004 01:32, linux at rmf.mailshell.com wrote:
> Hey, Praise God, it worked! It works!
> While I want to give glory to God, I must thank you, Eduardo, for your
little trick. I tried it last night, and had to do it over about 4-5
times until I figured out how to choose the right Graphics card my
computer has. Found one close to it under "Other" Then everything came
back. Haven't even lost any files or emails!

> I do see some problems to work out though. Just haven't got to that
yet, as Saturday is my domestic day, and I've been working on a quilt
for my Great-nephew too.

> But my window space in Mandrake does not use all of my screen real
estate. It did that too when I first installed it, but I can't recall
how I fixed it. The monitor buttons don't seem to help.

> Also, the brower window (Mozilla) that was open when the crash
happened is still there, and will NOT close. The error message made off
in a hurry and I hope it's gone for good. It said, "The connection was
refused when attempting to contact 64.241... etc." I had to click OK 2
x to get rid of it each time.

> It was getting late enough so my eyes were beginning to swell shut,
but I went to bed singing under my breath, "It works! It works!"

> My next agenda item is to see how to ease my transition so I can do
all my work there. Has anybody who's done this before got some advice?

> I did fine out back in May that from within Mandrake/Linux, I can
reach down to my other Windows Drive and files, and pull up/convert
whatever I need to work
> on. So my writing time should move easily enough.
>
> I'm concerned about email and web design though. I will really miss my
Pegasus!
> Though I've begun to use Thunderbird for the emails from one domain,
and am
> getting the hang of it. - However, Mandrake doesn't let me
download/install anything but what it has cached  on the original CDs.
So how do I do that?

> As for Web design, I've used Star Office in the past, but in recent
years done it all in 1st Page 2000. Back in May I explored the HTML
programs in Mandrake, but they all made my web pages look strange. I
think I'm going to need a huge period for a learning curve here! No?

> Okay, I'm talkin' too much. Time to wait for answers..
>
> But with Blessings & Thanks,
> Ruth
>

> >From Eduardo Sanchez <lists at sombragris.org> on 25 Aug 2004:
>
> > Then, you know you're on the console. Just a hypothetical question:
do
> > you have any valuable information on KDE? I might suggest you a
quick
> > and dirty trick to reconfigure KDE, but then you would have to
> > re-configure it again (i.e., set up your KMail email accounts,
desktop
> > icons, wallpapers, all over again). Would it be OK with you?
> >
> > Meanwhile, I have some tricks to show you.
> >
> > First of all, you need to go to the console. Type Ctrl-Alt and a
> > function key between F1 and F6 to get you the console prompt.
> >
> > You will see something like:
> >
> > Mandrake Linux Release 9.1 (Whatever)
> > Linux 2.4.19-25mdk
> >
> > login:
> >
> > There, supply your username and password.
> >
> > Then you will see your console prompt, something like:
> >
> > [ruth at localhost ruth] $
> >
> > Now, get the root prompt. Type the 'su' command. When the command
asks
> > you for a password, supply your *root* password.
> >
> > Then, your console prompt should look like:
> >
> > [root at localhost ruth] #
> >
> > The '#' prompt means you're root now.
> >
> > Then kill the X Window System (it is necessary for our manipulation)
by
> > typing the command 'telinit 3'. This kills X Window and leaves you
with
> > a bare console (no graphical mode at all).
> >
> > Once you killed the graphical mode, clear the screen typing Ctrl-L
> > because we would like to get rid of those funny messages which
appeared
> > when you typed 'telinit 3'. Now, get into the Mandrake Control
Center,
> > console version, by typing 'drakconf'.
> >
> > At this time, I don't remember it clearly, but you will have a menu.
Go
> > look for an item named "X Configuration", "Video Configuration", or
> > "Graphical mode configuration". You get the idea. Follow the
> > instructions to re-configure the X window system.
> >
> > When you're finished, exit the Mandrake Control Center. In the root
> > prompt, type now 'telinit 5'. You should get the graphical login
screen
> > all over again.
> >
> > Is it all OK now? I'm awaiting your answer...
> >
> > Eduardo

Prof. Eduardo Sanchez
Asuncion, Paraguay, South America
 None answer'd this; but after Silence spake
 A Vessel of a more ungainly Make:
   "They sneer at me for leaning all awry;
 What? did the Hand then of the Potter shake?"

	-- The Rubaiyat of Omar Khayyam