[CS-FSLUG] Setting Up DSL Router

Tim Young Tim.Young at LightSys.org
Sun Sep 5 14:06:44 CDT 2004

Don Parris wrote:

> Thanks guys,
>
> Regardless of whether I set eth0 to get it's ip address from DHCP or
> statically assign it, I still have no DHCP connection.  The bottom
> line is that the NIC seems to be able to see the DSL modem, as I can
> type in 192.168.99.1 in the url bar and get the test html page.

Ahhhhh.....  This is an interesting statement.  Now, when you say that you see
the test html page, what exactly do you get?  Do you get:  1) the test apache
page from your computer?  2) a page off the DSL-modem saying something about
the DSL modem? 3) something else?

> But, when I type in the telco's default ip address for the router
> (192.168.1.254), it cannot load the page.  Is the router supposed to
> be used as the default gateway?

Yes.  The router is supposed to be the default gateway for your internal
network.

If you can reach the DSL modem at 192.168.99.1, than that is the IP address of
your router.  Use that same number as your gateway, and you probably will be
able to get out.

To test your connection, try:
ping 216.239.39.99
(This is the IP address of Google.  If you ping www.google.com you may get it,
but your DNS needs to be working to get the IP address, 216.239.39.99, from the
name.)

> I'd almost rather set this up manually in a text editor, than rely on
> GUI apps that cause me about as much confusion as they offer help. :)
> I also might need to call BellSouth and ask them whether they need me
> to use DHCP or static ip.  As for the problem being obvious, Frank, I
> meant it was obvious to me that I was not connecting via DSL.
>
> It appears from my boot log that my NIC & USB card are sharing IRQ -
> could be a problem - don't know yet.  I'll have a look at it.

If you can get anything outside of your Linux computer, then it is working and
the sharing of the IRQ is not a problem.