[CS-FSLUG] Setting Up DSL Router

Don Parris gnumathetes at gmail.com
Sat Sep 4 22:15:32 CDT 2004

Tim,

Scuse me, I just realized it was you.  I sent you another e-mail about
the Wikki over at CODN.  Back to the DSL though.  The router is a
Westell 1600 (black - as opposed to grey)  It has both ethernet & usb
connectors, meaning it should work well with Linux.  The DSL how-to
says "any" ethernet capable DSL modem should work.

I think I'm starting to narrow things down to a few questions.  One,
is my ethernet card working properly (without interference from the
USB card), and two, am I using the correct method (static or DHCP)?
If I need to use the static ip, then is my routing table configured
properly?

Another question I have is whether the dial-up modem will interfere
with the ppp0 assignment - which should be the DSL Modem.  I can click
on KInternet in SUSE 8.0 and switch the assignment between DSL &
dial-up, which leads me to believe that's not much of an issue.
However, that could very well be a problem.  But alas, let me log off
and look at my bios re: the usb/NIC sharing issue.

God bless,
Don