[CS-FSLUG] Setting Up DSL Router

Clawman groundhog3000 at yahoo.com
Sun Sep 5 04:02:14 CDT 2004

Don Parris wrote:

>Thanks guys,
>
>Regardless of whether I set eth0 to get it's ip address from DHCP or
>statically assign it, I still have no DHCP connection.  The bottom
>line is that the NIC seems to be able to see the DSL modem, as I can
>type in 192.168.99.1 in the url bar and get the test html page.
>But, when I type in the telco's default ip address for the router
>(192.168.1.254), it cannot load the page.  Is the router supposed to
>be used as the default gateway?
>
>I'd almost rather set this up manually in a text editor, than rely on
>GUI apps that cause me about as much confusion as they offer help. :)
>I also might need to call BellSouth and ask them whether they need me
>to use DHCP or static ip.  As for the problem being obvious, Frank, I
>meant it was obvious to me that I was not connecting via DSL.
>
>It appears from my boot log that my NIC & USB card are sharing IRQ -
>could be a problem - don't know yet.  I'll have a look at it.

I have this problem with my cheap celeron board, too. No matter what NIC
I use,
I have to enter a line in rc.local or edit the init.d file to read (for
Fedora):

ifup eth0 & sleep 3 && mii-tool eth0 -A 10baseT-HD

Of course, 10baseT-HD could be 100baseT-FD or 10baseT-FD, where
HD = half duplex and FD = full duplex.

Why this has to be set manually I don't know, but to test this, type
that commend
into a terminal as root user, not 'su' root, and see what happens.