[CS-FSLUG] Installation - was [anyone know when?]

Chris Brault groundhog3000 at yahoo.com
Sun May 23 16:24:24 CDT 2004

On that subject,

> I installed the FTP version in under 15 minutes. :-)
>
> I have to say, between 10.0 community and official,
> I didn't think official
> would be very much improvement over community, but I
> was wrong. There are
> some bugs that I rememeber in community that aren't
> present in official.
> Matter of fact, I haven't seen any bugs in official
> yet.

I just installed FC2 and did and install. I did a
kitchen sink install, and it finished in 18 mins. I
spent more time uninstalling stuff after I tested it
then I spent installing it.

Alot of the original bugs were fixed in FC 2 as well.
The load up time is about the same as Mandrake. KDE is
not quite as well featured, but does include all the
eye candy we know and love so well. The Gnome in FC2
is was fast with the 2.6 kernel.

This I did discover, though. With all the tools and
menus and other stuff, I don't see what makes XP or
2003 so special. I have Mac OSX, windows XP and The
latest FC2 on hand right now. Here are my thoughts:

OSX 10.3 (Jaguar) looks alot cooler, and is way better
than it's predecessors, in terms of look and
useability. It is way ahead of anything Windows turned
out in terms of looks. However, it is slow, even on a
G4, it just isn't speedy. It does run X11 apps,
including apt-get using fink quite well.

Windows XP starts and shuts down much faster than
anything I have used. I would see this as an advantage
considering how often is must be restarted. The
artwork is cool, but after the big new service pack,
it seems as if Windows is attempting to hide the
administration tools. There are hidden downloads,
hidden uploads and hidden files. There are hidden
tasks and hidden functions as well. Of course,
automating tasks is nice, especially for new users.
This advantage only holds as long as M$ has a
strangehold on the market and everyone has to make
stuff for them. I mean, does windows make drivers for
the latest sound or video cards. Heck no! The
companies do. Stuff doesn't just work on windows, M$
forces them to make drivers so they can sell cards.
So, is that really a real advantage, or a perceived
one?

FC2 boots slower than XP but faster then OSX. It is
soooooo much more flexible. Add apt/synaptic and does
all I want it to do. There are some types of software
I would like to see ported to linux (finale, paltalk)
but I can wait for now. It is fast and stable (not as
fast as XP native apps but alot more stable. i.e. My
DV studio doesn't blow up my install after x hours of
use.) And a linux update rarely, if ever, breaks you
whole system. Besides that, if wverything locks up
because of an app, simply CTRL-ALT-F6, log-in, kill
the app, and move on. Reparing an all binary system
like Windows ... heh ... it's easier to reinstall.

My real problem with most OS's is that I just don't
like the eye candy. I like the simplicity and speed of
xfce 4.0.5. I'm sure that that was the thinking behind
the new nautilus and velocity file managers. Who
knows, maybe that's the new trend in corporate
desktops: Fast and light.