[CS-FSLUG] Installation - was [anyone know when?]

Timothy R. Butler tbutler at uninetsolutions.com
Sun May 23 17:03:03 CDT 2004

> OSX 10.3 (Jaguar) looks alot cooler, and is way better

	Are you running Jaguar (10.2) or Panther (10.3)? :-)

> than it's predecessors, in terms of look and
> useability. It is way ahead of anything Windows turned
> out in terms of looks. However, it is slow, even on a
> G4, it just isn't speedy. It does run X11 apps,
> including apt-get using fink quite well.

	What type of G4 do you have? I'm told the 1 GHz+ ones run fairly
comparably to a G5 (what I'm typing this on) for basic stuff -- i.e.
e-mail, web browsing, etc. The G5 obviously runs OS X fast, but I'm
surprised to hear the G4 isn't.

	I also have a G3 iMac running Panther and it seems delightfully speedy
for a four year old low-end iMac (it is a 400 MHz, which was middle of
the road in 99, but low-end by the time my machine was built... I
actually bought the machine on eBay last year).

	Cool side note: I just setup X11 forwarding, and as I type this, I've
just finished closing Win4Lin on my Mac. <g> I also have Ximian
Evolution open in the background... both are actually running on my P4.

> FC2 boots slower than XP but faster then OSX. It is
> soooooo much more flexible. Add apt/synaptic and does
> all I want it to do. There are some types of software

	Now if FC would just come with apt and ditch yum. Integrate a
ligher-than-synaptic GUI into the distro, and FC would finally be equal
to Mandrake on software management.

> I would like to see ported to linux (finale, paltalk)
> but I can wait for now. It is fast and stable (not as
> fast as XP native apps but alot more stable. i.e. My
> DV studio doesn't blow up my install after x hours of
> use.) And a linux update rarely, if ever, breaks you
> whole system. Besides that, if wverything locks up
> because of an app, simply CTRL-ALT-F6, log-in, kill
> the app, and move on. Reparing an all binary system
> like Windows ... heh ... it's easier to reinstall.

	Whatcha using to edit DV with?

	-Tim

Timothy R. Butler       Universal Networks      www.uninet.info
| Christian Portal:      | Have you not learned great lessons |
|      www.faithtree.com | from those  who  braced themselves |
| GNU/Linux News:        | against  you   and   disputed  the |
|            www.ofb.biz | passage with you?   --Walt Whitman |