[CS-FSLUG] Classification of Linux software was: Vote for my KDE bugs

Eduardo Sanchez lists at sombragris.org
Wed Mar 31 05:10:32 CST 2004

Hi Greg,

On Tuesday 30 March 2004 18:32, Greg Slade wrote:
> This thread reminds me to ask for some help with my Linux software
page
> (http://associate.com/camsoc/crs/linux.html). On the Windows page, I
have
> a grid with columns to let people know if a given application runs
under
> 8-bit Windows (1.0-3.11), 16-bit Windows (95-ME), and 32-bit Windows
> (NT-2003).

[snip]
> So, I thought of using desktop environments,
> starting with KDE and GNOME, which are the environments listed for the
> Sword Project.

For a good idea of how to classify Linux (and Unix) software, I would
recommend you to check http://freshmeat.net. If this sounds just too
complicated, then something less populate, like the classification
scheme of http://linuxpackages.net should work.

> But I don't know Linux environments well enough to know
> which ones are mutually incompatible (i.e., an application for one
won't
> run in the other), nor do I know which environments are worth
including
> > in the grid.

Usually there is no GNU/Linux environment which is mutually incompatible
with another, save for what I am going to say below.

> > (For example, Xwindows has been around forever, but is the
> any Christian software for it?) Also, what should I name the column
for
> programs which just run in a shell, such as WordWise Daily Scripture
> Calendar? "Text"? "Command Line"? "Shell"?

In my opinion, the main two divisions for software are these:

Console

X Window
   Gnome
   KDE
   XFCE
   Software with no particular DE
      Based on Qt
      Based on GTK
      Based on Motif
      Based on Tcl/Tk
      etc...

As for being any Christian software for X Window, you may just count
Bibletime and GnomeSword as examples. The X Window server (not
'windows', but 'window') is a graphics system for Unix computers. It
provides the infrastructure necessary for drawing windows and graphical
elements in a graphical display.

In order to use X Window you need a program which specifies the behavior
and appearance of windows, and these are called "Window Managers".
Examples of such are FVWM, MWM, OLVWM, IceWM, FluxBox, BlackBox,
AfterStep, Window Maker, etc. Use of one of these is mandatory

Additionally, you need a set of libraries known as "graphic toolkits"
which tell XWindow the aspect and behavior of graphical elements, such
as "widgets". A button, or a checkbox, are such widgets. The best known
toolkits are Athena, Motif, Qt, and GTK. You must use one of such
toolkits in your application.

Some people, using window managers and toolkits, created integrated,
complete environments which come with their own protocols, interfaces
and application sets. These are Desktop Environments. Examples are
Gnome, KDE (the two most popular), XFCE, CDE, etc.

As for compatibility, the main division is between Console and X
applications. You don't need an X session for a console app; but for
any Gnome, KDE, Motif, etc. app, you'll need a working X Window setup.
Beween X applications, the compatibility is not that difficult. For
example, if you use KDE but want to run a Gnome app, you just need to
install the Gnome libraries and you're all set to run that particular
app.

Hope this helps. I don't give any guarantee of clarity... It's 8:10 am,
it's been a very difficult night, and I'm trying to keep myself awake.

Blessings,

Eduardo

> God bless,
>
> Greg
>

> Greg Slade                              www.associate.com/camsoc/greg/
> gslade at studio.cbbs.org                       www.associate.com/camsoc/
> "Canadians are such polite people that they write graffiti in full
> sentences."                                         - Garrison Keillor

Prof. Eduardo Sanchez
Asuncion, Paraguay, South America
 Why, be this Juice the growth of God, who dare
 Blaspheme the twisted tendril as a Snare?
   A Blessing, we should use it, should we not?
 And if a Curse--why, then, Who set it there?

	-- The Rubaiyat of Omar Khayyam