[CS-FSLUG] Why I'm going back to Windoze and Mandrake Linux

Eduardo Sanchez lists at sombragris.org
Fri Mar 26 13:22:09 CST 2004

Perhaps it is the right decision, Nathan. I see, however, that some of
the problems you mentioned were:

> there are software packages, libraries and KDE
> themes that I can neither get for Xandros Linux nor compile them from
source
> because I keep getting errors due to the lack of libraries or some
other
> incompatibility.

I am afraid Mandrake has some of these same problems, and my experience
confirms it. I would suggest you to try a Linux as standard as
possible, i.e., something like Debian, or Slackware. Perhaps you could
also try Gentoo or LFS.

Blessings,

Eduardo

On Friday 26 March 2004 14:50, N. Thompson wrote:
> http://forums.xandros.com/viewtopic.php?t=6344
> My posts are the ones from NTWS01.
>
> I knew beforehand that I might not like Xandros Linux and that
spending the
> money was a bit of a risk. Don't get me wrong its not a bad
distribution if
> anything its really good but there are software packages, libraries
and KDE
> themes that I can neither get for Xandros Linux nor compile them from
source
> because I keep getting errors due to the lack of libraries or some
other
> incompatibility.
>
> I constantly told Xandros that I wanted them to add at the very least
some KDE
> themes aside from plastik and that I wanted them to add some software
and
> update the games, what I could compile from source I did (Current
stable
> version of bzFlag and GNU nano) but I felt like my requests were
falling on
> deaf ears, even when I told them my serial key as was suggested by
someone in
> the forums to prove that I was a paying customer.
>
> Basically what I'm saying is that Xandros is not a bad distro, but
imho its
> not worth the $59 USD either so I don't plan on getting any more
versions.
> Its also lacking a lot of software and stuff that I would have liked
to have
> and that I could easily get in Mandrake Linux so I am likely going to
switch
> to Mandrake 10.0 if I get a chance to try some sort of stable release
before
> purchasing a copy.
>
> I'm wondering what the rest of you might have to say about this, maybe
you
> agree or dissagree with my reasoning?

Prof. Eduardo Sanchez
Asuncion, Paraguay, South America
 And much as Wine has play'd the Infidel,
 And robb'd me of my Robe of Honour--well,
   I often wonder what the Vintners buy
 One half so precious as the Goods they sell.

	-- The Rubaiyat of Omar Khayyam