[CS-FSLUG] Why I'm going back to Windoze and Mandrake Linux

N. Thompson n.thomp at sasktel.net
Fri Mar 26 13:57:39 CST 2004

Eduardo Sanchez wrote:

>Perhaps it is the right decision, Nathan. I see, however, that some of
>the problems you mentioned were:
>

>>there are software packages, libraries and KDE
>>themes that I can neither get for Xandros Linux nor compile them from
>>

>source
>

>>because I keep getting errors due to the lack of libraries or some
>>

>other
>

>>incompatibility.
>>

>I am afraid Mandrake has some of these same problems, and my experience
>confirms it. I would suggest you to try a Linux as standard as
>possible, i.e., something like Debian, or Slackware. Perhaps you could
>also try Gentoo or LFS.
>
>Blessings,
>
>Eduardo

For that reason I'm going to try Mandrake before purchasing a copy,
although if 10.0 is anything like 9.1 all the software and themes I'll
need will be available through the Penguin liberation front urpmi
repository, if Mandrake should fail to be satisfactory though I am also
interested in trying SUSE Linux 9.1 assuming under Novell the free FTP
install will still be available and I think I might even try my luck
with Fedora or even Slackware if I still feel this daring later on :-) .

I don't think it takes that much to please me, all I need is Mandrake or
SUSE with some form of APT and I'll be happy, I think SUSE will have
stronger networking  capabilities when the new version is released but I
don't really need that and Mandrake usually has more software and games
:-) .

<snip>