[CS-FSLUG] Why I'm going back to Windoze and Mandrake Linux

N. Thompson n.thomp at sasktel.net
Fri Mar 26 11:50:23 CST 2004

http://forums.xandros.com/viewtopic.php?t=6344
My posts are the ones from NTWS01.

I knew beforehand that I might not like Xandros Linux and that spending the
money was a bit of a risk. Don't get me wrong its not a bad distribution if
anything its really good but there are software packages, libraries and KDE
themes that I can neither get for Xandros Linux nor compile them from source
because I keep getting errors due to the lack of libraries or some other
incompatibility.

I constantly told Xandros that I wanted them to add at the very least some KDE
themes aside from plastik and that I wanted them to add some software and
update the games, what I could compile from source I did (Current stable
version of bzFlag and GNU nano) but I felt like my requests were falling on
deaf ears, even when I told them my serial key as was suggested by someone in
the forums to prove that I was a paying customer.

Basically what I'm saying is that Xandros is not a bad distro, but imho its
not worth the $59 USD either so I don't plan on getting any more versions.
Its also lacking a lot of software and stuff that I would have liked to have
and that I could easily get in Mandrake Linux so I am likely going to switch
to Mandrake 10.0 if I get a chance to try some sort of stable release before
purchasing a copy.

I'm wondering what the rest of you might have to say about this, maybe you
agree or dissagree with my reasoning?