[CS-FSLUG] Anyone understand streaming audio?

Timothy R. Butler tbutler at uninetsolutions.com
Thu Mar 25 16:44:22 CST 2004

Hi Kathy,
> I'd like to toy around with streaming audio in Linux.  Specifically, I'd
> like to stream MP3 files (or OGG if necessary).  I searched around the
> Internet a little and found Icecast, which seems to be a reputable
> server.  Now I understand I also need a source client as a companion to
> Icecast -- so I found Ices and MuSE.

   Right. You can also use XMMS as your source client -- Icecast will
play whatever XMMS is playing if you have the XMMS Icecast plugin
installed.

> The problem is, after reading a few tutorials, I still don't get how all
> this software is supposed to work together.  There are references to
> "mount points," but whether these are literal or virtual I don't know.
> I don't even know where I'm supposed to put my MP3 files and/or
> playlists.

  I believe in the context they are virtual ones.

  Here's an easier way to go, though: Get Apple's Darwin Streaming
Server. It's Free Software (as in freedom) and available from Apple's
developer site (do a Google search and you'll find it really fast). I
haven't tried a GNU/Linux install of it, but Apple does provide binaries
for Linux. It is really easy to administer via its web interface and
doesn't require anything other than itself to do streaming in the
Icecast/Shoutcast compatible format (it can also do QuickTime
streaming).

  -Tim

Timothy R. Butler       Universal Networks      www.uninet.info
| Christian Portal:      | Have you not learned great lessons |
|      www.faithtree.com | from those  who  braced themselves |
| GNU/Linux News:        | against  you   and   disputed  the |
|            www.ofb.biz | passage with you?   --Walt Whitman |