[CS-FSLUG] Anyone understand streaming audio?

K Montgomery keltik at albany.edu
Thu Mar 25 15:59:07 CST 2004

I'd like to toy around with streaming audio in Linux.  Specifically, I'd
like to stream MP3 files (or OGG if necessary).  I searched around the
Internet a little and found Icecast, which seems to be a reputable
server.  Now I understand I also need a source client as a companion to
Icecast -- so I found Ices and MuSE.

The problem is, after reading a few tutorials, I still don't get how all
this software is supposed to work together.  There are references to
"mount points," but whether these are literal or virtual I don't know.
I don't even know where I'm supposed to put my MP3 files and/or
playlists.

Anyone know of a good tutorial, or know how to do it themselves?  Even a
brief explanation of the common terminology would probably help, so that
I'm not tied by my limited knowledge to certain products.

- Kathy