[CS-FSLUG] Immodesty in the church

Chris Brault groundhog3000 at yahoo.com
Fri Jun 25 21:23:32 CDT 2004

Interesting,

> I was under the
> impression that they way to test that would be to
> look for fruits of the
> spirit - not the fruits of the wallet and the
> department store.

Indeed, and the decisions one makes at the clothing
store come from self-control and love.

> I also see the whole "dont cause your brother to
> stumble" thing way overused.
> It gives too good of an excuse for people
> not to take any accountability themselves.

I can see where one could see the extremes of the
Muslim world, where women in traditional areas are
covered from head to foot in cloth to prevent men from
looking upon them. I always thought that they should
clean out their hearts and minds, and that wouldn't be
a problem and they could free their women. I mean,
Muhammed married a 13 year old girl (we call that
statatory rape and kiddie porn here in the states).
So, we do want to avoid extremes.

What I have always believed is that "cultural norms"
within the church should be the norm in determining
those kinds of things. The church should be more
conservative, but bare chested african women dancing
in worship isn't a sin to them and head-scarfed
turkish believers aren't sinning being covered either.
It's the cultural norm for the church, but not their
sin ridden country. I say, if it isn't against the
bible, and it doesn't cause "stumbing" amongst people
of the local church culture then good, otherwise, it's
time to set some basic ground rules for Sunday and
explain to the offenders that loving your neighbor
means not unnecessarily tempting them to sin nor
attempting to use sex to attract members of the
opposite sex.

Just a thought.