[CS-FSLUG] DSL (Verizon) vs. Cable (RoadRunner)

Frank Bax fbax at sympatico.ca
Wed Jun 23 21:44:01 CDT 2004

At 08:19 PM 6/23/04, Timothy R. Butler wrote:
>         Here's the thing with DSL: ADSL can go up to 17,800 ft. (IIRC)
> from the central office (CO).

Just to clarify - this distance is the measure of length of copper pair
from CO to your home, not the driving distance - the copper wires probably
do not follow the shortest driving route.  As for distance, we're told 5km
(=3mi = 15,840ft), but that could be rounding.  My house is a 5km drive
from CO and we still get over 1Mbps on DSL.

>         At any rate, either way you go, I strongly recommend the Linksys
> Cable/DSL router ...

I've had no problems with either LinkSys or D-link routers.  The D-link
ones I've used had more features than LinkSys did, like being able to block
access to websites (parental control), support for dyndns.org.  Do you
think remote ssh/vnc access to your home machine is considered "running a
server"?

Frank