[CS-FSLUG] DSL (Verizon) vs. Cable (RoadRunner)

Timothy R. Butler tbutler at uninetsolutions.com
Wed Jun 23 19:19:23 CDT 2004

Hi,
	I've worked with both cable and DSL, and I would personally recommend
cable internet over DSL. But before I get into that, be aware that most
telcos and cablecos prohibit any kind of web serving or other types of
servers. It will work though, usually.

	Ok, so on to my point about DSL vs. Cable. In this area, we have the
choice of SBC Yahoo! DSL or Charter Pipeline. I use Charter Pipeline at
home, but have done a number of DSL installs (for people not wanting to
do the "self install," which is really pretty easy) and I also have DSL
working on my church's network.

	Here's the thing with DSL: ADSL can go up to 17,800 ft. (IIRC) from
the central office (CO). If you are on the edge of that, and you can
find out that at www.dslreports.com, you will get a slower speed than
if you are right on top of the CO. Here's the kicker: the guaranteed
speed, at least in SBC territory -- is 384 kbps for $29.95 a month...
the same as Charter's base package. The thing is, they don't say that,
they advertise "up to 1.5 Mbps." Whether you get that or not isn't
something the phone company will help you figure out, but if you are a
long way away from the CO, you probably won't get it. SBC, and most DSL
providers, require a 1 year contract... the cablecos usually have no
contract, it is a month-to-month deal.

	So, for $29.95 a month, you should be able to get 384 kbps for sure
from either. For $39.95 a month, you can usually get a guaranteed 1.5
Mbps from the DSL provider or 2-3 Mbps from the Cableco. So, if you are
into the idea of gambling on what you get for $29.95 a month, go with
the cable... it will be faster than any of the below-$50 offerings from
the phone company.

	That said, consider some more stuff:

	* Cable uses a ethernet network, basically. Everything works
beautifully without any fancy stuff. Plug it into a router or a
computer and usually it just works (using DHCP for nameserver
assignments, etc.). On the other hand, DSL providers use PPPoE, which
is a pain. If you get a good Cable/DSL router (I recommend the Linksys
BEFSR41 for a wired network, and so far I like my WRT54G wireless one
as well), it will support PPPoE, but it still isn't as reliable because
it has to "log in" just like a dialup PPP session and sometimes things
go wrong. Likewise, I've heard a lot of people have trouble getting
PPPoE to work on Linux if you hook the DSL directly to your system
rather than indirectly via a router.

	* While the phone companies love to talk about how cable slows down if
there is too much demand on the network... do you know any network that
doesn't? The thing is, a properly administered cable system will have
enough bandwidth that everyone can max out their connections without
any problems. I can reliably get 3 Mbps from Charter and its only
$39.99 a month... the same as half that speed from SBC Yahoo!.

	*DSL will cause some noise on your phone lines even with filters. Most
people I talk to agree that they can hear "modem like sounds" faintly
on their phones. There isn't any noise with cable.

	At any rate, either way you go, I strongly recommend the Linksys
Cable/DSL router if you have more than one system (and even if you only
have one right now). It'll take care of basic security (it has a NAT
setup built in) that will make your system essentially invisible to all
but the best crackers. And if you go with DSL, a router is a must --
that way you don't have to bother with annoying PPPoE software on your
systems: the router will turn it into a normal ethernet internet
connection over TCP/IP just like if you went with cable (like I said
though, the PPPoE still causes some problems).

	Anyway, that's my $0.02... :-)

	-Tim