[CS-FSLUG] DSL (Verizon) vs. Cable (RoadRunner)

Timothy R. Butler tbutler at uninetsolutions.com
Wed Jun 23 22:43:50 CDT 2004

On Jun 23, 2004, at 9:44 PM, Frank Bax wrote:

> At 08:19 PM 6/23/04, Timothy R. Butler wrote:
>>         Here's the thing with DSL: ADSL can go up to 17,800 ft.
>> (IIRC) from the central office (CO).
>
> Just to clarify - this distance is the measure of length of copper
> pair from CO to your home, not the driving distance - the copper wires
> probably do not follow the shortest driving route.  As for distance,
> we're told 5km (=3mi = 15,840ft), but that could be rounding.  My
> house is a 5km drive from CO and we still get over 1Mbps on DSL.

	Interesting.

>>         At any rate, either way you go, I strongly recommend the
>> Linksys Cable/DSL router ...
>

> I've had no problems with either LinkSys or D-link routers.  The
> D-link ones I've used had more features than LinkSys did, like being
> able to block access to websites (parental control), support for
> dyndns.org.

	Linksys seems to have added both of these to the WRT45G (which is
essentially the BEFSR41 with the addition of an 802.11g WAP). The
Parental Controls part seems to work in conjunction with a Linksys
for-fee service. It supports dyndns and TZO.com.

	I haven't tried it yet, but I understand you can modify the WRT45G's
firmware to turn it into a micro webserver (it runs GNU/Linux).

	I haven't worked much with D-Link routers, although a client of mine
has one and seems to be pretty happy.

> Do you think remote ssh/vnc access to your home machine is considered
> "running a server"?

	Hmm... Good question. I'm really not sure, but somehow I doubt they'd
mind that. I suspect they wouldn't even mind HTTP traffic so long as it
is only you. I mean, these routers technically have servers running on
them (such as the administrative web server) that can be accessed over
the internet if you so choose... I can't imagine that being a violation
of the TOS.

	-Tim

Timothy R. Butler       Universal Networks      www.uninet.info
| Christian Portal:      | Have you not learned great lessons |
|      www.faithtree.com | from those  who  braced themselves |
| GNU/Linux News:        | against  you   and   disputed  the |
|            www.ofb.biz | passage with you?   --Walt Whitman |
Presently on "Albert" (DP PPC 970 "G5" running at 2.0 GHz)