[CS-FSLUG] OpenOffice and networked printer

Nigel Ridley nigel at i-amfaithweb.net
Thu Jun 10 09:14:23 CDT 2004

On Thu, 10 Jun 2004 08:03:41 -0500
"Steven T. Fricke" <sfricke at oilstates.com> wrote:

> Can you print from other things?
>
> I really think the answer lies in cups.
>
> My experience is that it already does run with cups. I have no local
> printer attached, and I print all the time with OO 1.1.1 to a HP 4000,
> and HP8000 and a Gestetner Copier/Printer. I have not used the printer
> setup tool in a long time, even after installing new distros.
>
> I am currently using PCLinuxOS installed on my HD, and I print fine
> using cups out of OO. Next to me is a guy using RedHat (not Fedora)
> and he also is printing using cups with OO, I will check with a guy
> across the hall who is trying Knoppix 3.4 installed and see how it
> goes for him. He just installed yesterday (Switching from SuSE 8.2
> just to see what Knoppix installed was like), so I don't know that he
> has even tried OO yet.
>
> I know that none of us did anything spectacular to get it running.
>
> I would have to say, though, that I don't think that the problem is in
> OO, I think it may be your cups that needs improving. You might want
> to look toward updating that.
>
> Alsom, if you upgraded OO from and earlier version, my experience has
> been there are times when I have to completely wipe out OO or it does
> not upgrade correctly.
>
> I am not familiar with Libranet and it's package management systems if
> any. Consider removing OO, then deleting all the files. Removing OO
> packages does not always (ever?) remove all the OO files. It really
> depends *how* it was installed to know where all the files are. If you
> used a package manager, remove it from there. Regardless, I would look
> for the installed directory and delete it. This is, of course, after
> saving any documents you may have saved in that directory.
>
> After completely removing OO, THEN install it again.
>
> I hope this helps. I know it ain't much, but it's all I got.
>
> In Christ,
> Steven T. Fricke

Thanks. Cups is working fine across the network with all connected
machines being able to print just fine -- it's just OOo on the other
machines (all except the machine that the printer is attached to) that
can't print.

I did uninstall and reinstall OOo (completely removed the directory from
/opt) but still no joy.

My local machine, the one with the printer attached, sees the printer
and defines the driver as 'Driver: Deskjet640c (CUPS:deskjet640c)
so I'm not sure why the other machines on the network can't see it.

Blessings,

Nigel

--
It's not a problem -- it's a learning opportunity.
--

I AM Bible Studies and Resources
http://www.i-amfaithweb.net

Messianic E-Cards.com