[CS-FSLUG] OpenOffice and networked printer

Steven T. Fricke sfricke at oilstates.com
Thu Jun 10 08:03:41 CDT 2004

Can you print from other things?

I really think the answer lies in cups.

My experience is that it already does run with cups. I have no local
printer attached, and I print all the time with OO 1.1.1 to a HP 4000,
and HP8000 and a Gestetner Copier/Printer. I have not used the printer
setup tool in a long time, even after installing new distros.

I am currently using PCLinuxOS installed on my HD, and I print fine
using cups out of OO. Next to me is a guy using RedHat (not Fedora) and
he also is printing using cups with OO, I will check with a guy across
the hall who is trying Knoppix 3.4 installed and see how it goes for
him. He just installed yesterday (Switching from SuSE 8.2 just to see
what Knoppix installed was like), so I don't know that he has even tried
OO yet.

I know that none of us did anything spectacular to get it running.

I would have to say, though, that I don't think that the problem is in
OO, I think it may be your cups that needs improving. You might want to
look toward updating that.

Alsom, if you upgraded OO from and earlier version, my experience has
been there are times when I have to completely wipe out OO or it does
not upgrade correctly.

I am not familiar with Libranet and it's package management systems if
any. Consider removing OO, then deleting all the files. Removing OO
packages does not always (ever?) remove all the OO files. It really
depends *how* it was installed to know where all the files are. If you
used a package manager, remove it from there. Regardless, I would look
for the installed directory and delete it. This is, of course, after
saving any documents you may have saved in that directory.

After completely removing OO, THEN install it again.

I hope this helps. I know it ain't much, but it's all I got.

In Christ,
Steven T. Fricke