[CS-FSLUG] I had enough.

Tim Young Tim.Young at LightSys.org
Tue Dec 28 09:40:56 CST 2004

Well, I use XP sp2 all the time, and I have not been hacked in the 2 years I
have had it.  I had ME before that (long story why I used ME instead of 98),
and the only time I got a virus was because an intern played with my computer
and left it open.  People who are computer savvy enough to use Linux can spend
enough time locking down a windows box.  If you use Mozilla instead of IE, you
will be a long way there.  Pay for a good antivirus package, have a personal
firewall (the Windows one protects you from many attacks, the other personal
firewalls protect others if someone actually does compromise your system).  You
can get away with using outlook or outlook express if you are careful, but most
people would prefer to use an alternate email client instead of always being
that careful.

I use virtual PC on my computer because, while I have a Windows operating
system as my primary, I still need Linux for a lot of things.  So I have a few
different versions stashed away as virtual computers that I can pull up and get
things done with.  :)

Neither OS seems totally perfect.  I find that I need both of them.

Hope you can get it to work!

    - Tim Young