[CS-FSLUG] I had enough.

Wade A Smith warm38 at juno.com
Tue Dec 28 20:59:03 CST 2004

> Aw, the heck with it! SUSE 9.2 just rebooted for no reason at all.
> I'm going back to DOS 6.22 & Windows 3.11!
>

> --
> DC Parris GNU Evangelist

Funny you should mention that...
I received a HP zd7389cl ($1700 from Sam's) for multiple birthdays and
christmas presents (past) from my guilt-ridden father.  I didnt ask for
it,
God just worked it out that way.

It has
        a 17" WXGA+ screen (a problem for SuSE 9.2)
        80GB drive, with XP SP2 installed <shudder>
        512MB RAM
        built in Wireless LAN (it keeps trying to hook up to LANs
everywhare)
        and regular LAN
        built in [CPUhogging] WinModem
        3.2GHz P4
        keyboard with numeric keypad built in (wide case, wide keyboard)
        DVD-RW/CDRW
        nVidia 5200(?) +64MB RAM
        no owners manual
        and no, repeat "no", floppy
        and no, repeat "no", serial ports
(so much of my work requires serial ports -- I purchased some
USB<->serial converters, but the driver software is on FLOPPY)

9.2 is really clunky and broken trying to work with the system.
It tries to treat the wiiiiiiiiiiide screen like a regular 1248x768 puky
little
screen and since I dare not get on line with it for fear of the dreaded
MonkeySoft bugs and viruses (I wont mention that I wouldnt even
know where to look) so I cant find out any technical info on the
screen to make it more useful (like horiz freq range and vert
freq range).  I can measure that the screen is 366mm x 227mm.

9.2  has a problem with the sound -- after two hours I have sound.
9.2 tells me I need to add in AC power and Battery into the kernel and
rebuild.  Say WHUT?
9.2 use smpppd instead of pppd, so I cant get online.  pppd doesnt
have the SUID bit set, so I cant use that, and it has NO modem
commands built in.

9.2 is sick when it comes to laptops.  I may have to live with
<shudder> MonkeySoft WinXP SP2 (optimized by HP for
the zd7000 series) because it is too new and different for
9.2.  <sigh>  I had hopes for 9.2 -- what a bummer.

wade in Flour-dough, the Plywood State