[CS-FSLUG] Some feedback from Christian brothers and sisters...

Don Parris gnumathetes at gmail.com
Wed Dec 22 01:05:20 CST 2004

On Tue, 21 Dec 2004 21:07:58 -0500, Don Parris <gnumathetes at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Tue, 21 Dec 2004 17:01:55 -0600, James W. Thompson, II
> <jwthompson2 at gmail.com> wrote:
> > I have put out a second post on the same basic subject matter here:
> > http://www.libervis.com/modules/weblog/details.php?blog_id=21
> >
> > The tone may be a little lighter for some of the Free Software folks
> > who are taking glee in writing nasty emails; no one from this list
> > mind you. I doubt my thoughts will make them any happier, but there is
> > far less for them to really complain about in this post.
> >

> I really haven't checked out the new article yet, but I would really
> recommend focusing our efforts on FOSS vs proprietary software before
> we get too in-depth with the differences between free vs. open source.
>  Even OSI suggests that there really are very few reasons to develop
> proprietary (maybe in the military, etc.), but business-wise, there
> just isn't any sound reason to develop proprietary software
>
> In my mind, the idea of agreeing to not help my neighbor is repulsive.
>  Since this is a requirement of proprietary licenses, I no longer use
> proprietary software.  I am free to use open source software, because
> it also allows me to help my neighbor.  In agreeing to not help my
> neighbor (per the typical EULA), I am binding myself, legally, to that
> which is contrary to my Lord's commandment - that we love one another.
>  Per Galatians 5, and elsewhere throughout scripture, love is a
> practical concept, involving giving and sharing.
>
> Software developers are certainly free, under the American legal code,
> to develop proprietary software.  Likewise, I am free to place an
> extremely low value on such software.  If OpenOffice.org charged the
> same price that MS charges for MS Office, OOo would still be the
> better value.  I admire your tenacity.  However, I highly recommend
> that you study the issues further.
>
> You are young and highly intelligent.  Put your efforts where they are
> needed most.  While there is certainly division between the free and
> open source communities, the two nearly always stand side by side
> against proprietary software.  While you're digging a trench to fight
> the free software movement, the Christian FOSS movement is moving
> forward together.  Don't get stuck in a rut.
>
> Here's praying that you'll understand that I am trying to encourage
> you to take some time and do some more research.  If you contribute to
> the FSF, don't act like you're fighting it.
>
> Peace,
> Don

O.k., I read it.  I simply won't sign anything that says I cannot help
my neighbor. :)   While I enjoy reading your viewpoint - you're
articulate and present your case fairly well - I simply disagree with
the idea that free software is an extreme position.  But we're free to
disagree.  I love that about this country! :)

--
DC Parris GNU Evangelist
http://matheteuo.org/
gnumathetes at gmail.com