[CS-FSLUG] Some feedback from Christian brothers and sisters...

Don Parris gnumathetes at gmail.com
Tue Dec 21 20:07:58 CST 2004

On Tue, 21 Dec 2004 17:01:55 -0600, James W. Thompson, II
<jwthompson2 at gmail.com> wrote:
> I have put out a second post on the same basic subject matter here:
> http://www.libervis.com/modules/weblog/details.php?blog_id=21
>
> The tone may be a little lighter for some of the Free Software folks
> who are taking glee in writing nasty emails; no one from this list
> mind you. I doubt my thoughts will make them any happier, but there is
> far less for them to really complain about in this post.

I really haven't checked out the new article yet, but I would really
recommend focusing our efforts on FOSS vs proprietary software before
we get too in-depth with the differences between free vs. open source.
 Even OSI suggests that there really are very few reasons to develop
proprietary (maybe in the military, etc.), but business-wise, there
just isn't any sound reason to develop proprietary software

In my mind, the idea of agreeing to not help my neighbor is repulsive.
 Since this is a requirement of proprietary licenses, I no longer use
proprietary software.  I am free to use open source software, because
it also allows me to help my neighbor.  In agreeing to not help my
neighbor (per the typical EULA), I am binding myself, legally, to that
which is contrary to my Lord's commandment - that we love one another.
 Per Galatians 5, and elsewhere throughout scripture, love is a
practical concept, involving giving and sharing.

Software developers are certainly free, under the American legal code,
to develop proprietary software.  Likewise, I am free to place an
extremely low value on such software.  If OpenOffice.org charged the
same price that MS charges for MS Office, OOo would still be the
better value.  I admire your tenacity.  However, I highly recommend
that you study the issues further.

You are young and highly intelligent.  Put your efforts where they are
needed most.  While there is certainly division between the free and
open source communities, the two nearly always stand side by side
against proprietary software.  While you're digging a trench to fight
the free software movement, the Christian FOSS movement is moving
forward together.  Don't get stuck in a rut.

Here's praying that you'll understand that I am trying to encourage
you to take some time and do some more research.  If you contribute to
the FSF, don't act like you're fighting it.

Peace,
Don
--
DC Parris GNU Evangelist