[CS-FSLUG] Meet "Blam"

Wade A Smith warm38 at juno.com
Sat Dec 18 11:13:00 CST 2004

On Sat, 18 Dec 2004 04:55:18 -0800 (PST) Christiansource-request at ofb.biz
writes:
> Date: Fri, 17 Dec 2004 14:17:58 +0000
> From: Ed Hurst <ehurst at asisaid.com>
> Subject: [CS-FSLUG] Meet "Blam"
> To: "CS-FSLUG" <christiansource at ofb.biz>
>
> Personal disaster narrowly averted... for a time. :-)

I feel your pain.

I lost my [second] 1.3GHz Soyo [cheap, unreliable] motherboard on
my main work machine with a dual boot to SuSE 9.1 and Win98.
All my work stuff is in Win98.

I went out and bought a new motherboard.  None of the new motherboards'
IDE drivers support Win98 (Fred Miller wuz right) so I was totally unable
to load Win98 no matter how I tried to do it.

I did have a backup [slower] computer, so I moved the harddrive from
the main computer to the backup computer as the D drive and I'm able
to continue my work

Unfortunately Linux is OUT.  The backup computer is a HP
Pavilion 510w with a 1MB Video built in.  SuSE gets confused in
SAX with the built-in video and the Gforce 440 with 64MB and so
I get NO video or I'm stuck with ultra low res.  So, no Linux.  8-b

My good friend and brother in Christ, Mr Fred, suggested VMWare
Workstation 4 and run Win98 under Linux.  So far I cant install
Win98 into the "virtual drive" because it doesnt like what it sees in
the virtual drive -- 40GB useless and so is Win98 on that.
UNLESS, one of you fine folks knows how to get Win98 installed
on the VMWare virtual drive.

The only positive is that I have a ThinkPad T22 that I had to buy for
my contract programming job on the road (2+ hrs from home, so I
stay the week "off yonder") and it is perfectly happy with Win98 and
SuSE 9.1 sharing a 40GB HD.

> I managed to resurrect an old ProSignia 200 (economy server) with a
> P2/233, a whopping 196MB RAM, two massive SCSIs (2 & 4GB), a Matrox
> Millenium II PCI (4MB VRAM), and no sound.
>
> It crawls, the drives are noisy, the case is huge -- but it works,
> and
> will provide minimal service until God sees fit to provide something

what is this "minimal service" that is provided?  Web server? A
workstation?
Communication with the outside world?
IIRC, you had some reason why you preferred the "older stuff" but my
failing memory makes it difficult to remember what I was talking about,
what was I talking about again?

> better. Meanwhile, He is sooooooo good.

YES!  INDEED!

> --
> Ed Hurst

I still like how you really fixed up that little piece I wrote on
"liberals"
8-)

wade